Feeling restless now the cold weather has set in? Dreading the upcoming school holidays? Then pack the family and the car, and get out of the house for a day or a weekend.
The Coorong Winter playground is less than two hours from Adelaide, and there is lots of awesome stuff to see and do to keep the kids off your case, and stop cabin fever setting in.
We’ve done the hard work for you with our bucket list of things to do this winter, on the glorious River, Lakes and Coorong, so all you need to do is start ticking off the list!
Drive, gawk and walk
- For WOW factor, you can’t beat the jaw dropping vistas from the bluff at Raukkan, on the Narrung Peninsula. If you’re still standing upright on a windy day, we promise you will be left speechless by the panoramic views of Lake Alexandrina. While you’re there, check out the church that features on Australia’s $50 note.
- There’s also some great selfie moments to be had at the Southern hemisphere’s only inland lighthouse at Narrung, the Frank Jackman lookout over the River Murray, and the Lions Park overlooking the lake in Meningie (there’s a great playground for the kids, public toilets and a bakery across the road, so they’ll be super-happy little campers).
- Head to the world-class The Bend SA Motorsport Park at Tailem Bend and be awed by the cars on display, the facilities and the views of the track. Challenge the kids to a go-kart race!
- Take a short drive on the Princes Highway between Meningie and Salt Creek, and stop at the Coorong Lookout, near Coorong Wilderness Lodge. This is where you’ll get an idea of the epic scale of one of Australia’s most significant wetland systems. If you’re game, kayak across the lagoon at Parnka Point and then hike through the sand dunes to the beach.
Get on board a tour with a difference
- Feed the lions at Monarto Zoo, in their new Lions 360 walk-in cage experience. Not brave enough? That’s ok, you can cruise through the habitats of giraffes, rhinos and meercats instead.
- Get behind the farm gate, for a personalised, behind-the-scenes look at the Coorong. Coorong Tours can hook you up in small, exclusive groups, taking a look at farming operations, food producers, indigenous culture and regional secrets. Choose from Tastes of the Coorong, Secrets of the Coorong and Farming the Coorong. Head here to check out the details.
Get out on the water
- Houseboat, ski boat, cruiser, rusty tinny or kayak? It doesn’t matter, as once you’re on the water, you’re in a different (and much better) world. Winter on the river and lakes is misty in the mornings and crisp in the day. The best part? There is hardly anyone out there with you, so the peace and quiet is heaven.
- Keen to reel in your own dinner? Try fishing off the beach in the Coorong National Park or yabbying in the backwaters of the river.
- Too cold to dip your toes? Then rug up, build a bonfire on the beach and roast some marshmallows.
Eat and drink
- Welcome to SA’s glorious food bowl! Stock up on fresh fruit and vegetables, locally produced smallgoods and gourmet cheeses, a stash of wine from Langhorne Creek, and a tipple of port from Willow Point Wines to warm your cockles.
- Get your wiggle on and try digging for your own cockles on the beach (in season). Steam with white wine, chilli and garlic, in less than five minutes! Better yet, cook them over a campfire on the beach!
- When in Rome…the local fish delicacy is Coorong Mullet, and you’ll find it at nearly every eatery. With fresh lemon and pepper and hot chips, you can’t go wrong.
- Take a drive to Waffles and Jaffles at Coonalpyn and treat yourself to authentic Liege waffles, smothered with a dizzying array of toppings (we can’t go past the apple sauce and icecream combo) or head to Little Local Co in Tailem Bend for creative light meals, sugar bombs and THE.BEST.COFFEE.
- One day in the Coorong is never enough, so stay a bit longer! There are plenty of holiday houses on offer, with epic water views and wood fires to keep you warm. Snuggle up with your partner, kids or a good book and just chill out with a glass of red by the fire. Better yet, light up the firepit and gaze at the water over warming flames. LIVING.THE.DREAM.
- For some unbeatable winter specials on waterfront accommodation, head here. You’re invited to pay for two nights, and stay a third for free in a large range of stunning properties!
- Camping more your style? There are lots of options, from caravan parks on the lake or river (Lake Albert Caravan Park at Meningie is the spot for epic sunsets over the water), to 4WDriving and camping on spectacular Coorong beaches.
So what are you waiting for? Stay and play in the Coorong this winter.